EDGE and Tesseract are imprints of Hades Publications, Inc.
EDGE and Tesseract Books are distributed in Canada and the United States by Fitzhenry and Whiteside (more)
We are currently seeking high-quality novel-length science fiction and fantasy submissions of all types. We are not interested in young adult, horror, erotica, religious fiction, short stories, dark/gruesome fantasy, or poetry.
Manuscripts should be written in good taste and be aimed at an older (aged 20 and up), well-read, mature audience. We prefer novels of between 75,000 and 100,000 words, although we occasionally accept longer works. We work with new and established authors.
We particularly like stories with:
Please be sure that you send us the best version of your work. Before you submit your work (see requirements below), your novel should be complete (not a work-in-progress) and have already undergone extensive editing and revisions.
- depth and insight
- great writing
- original ideas
- interesting characters who have believable behaviors, motives, and relationships
- believable dialogue
- strong plots
- solid science or magic systems
- unique settings
- well designed, innovative alien life forms and environments, and
- richly detailed and original cultures.
Authors who are unsure if their novel meets our requirements should send only a query letter indicating their doubt, a synopsis, and letter SASE to the address below.
We do not accept submissions on floppy disk. They often end up arriving battered and broken like this one.
We do not accept electronic submissions. We will not open your email attachments or visit your website.
We do not accept simultaneous submissions.
Incorrect or incomplete submissions may be rejected. Do not send your entire manuscript until asked to do so. If you send your entire manuscript all at once it will be rejected.
The following are only guidelines, but the more accurate you are, the smoother the submission process will be. Please also read the FAQ for more tips.
What To Submit
1. Required Extras
- Required Extras (see below)
- Query/Cover Letter (see below)
- Synopsis (see below)
- Title Page (see below)
- Prologue (optional) (see below)
- Chapters One, Two, Three (do not send more chapters) (see below)
2. Query/Cover Letter
- A letter-sized SAE (self-addressed envelope) or your email address for correspondence.
- A suitable SAE if you desire return of the sample chapters.
- Sufficient postage for reply and/or return.
- NOTE: If you live in the USA or Overseas you must not use stamps on your return envelopes. Use International Reply Coupons (IRCs) (available from your post office).
If you live in Canada you should use Canadian stamps.
Do not attach US or foreign postage to the return envelopes! Foreign postage CANNOT be mailed from within Canada!
(single-spaced, approximately one page)
- This letter should introduce you to us, interest us in considering your manuscript, and provide us with a small amount of your writing history.
- Be sure to mention your book's title, its exact word count, and the genre.
- Do not include the synopsis of your story here.
- Include your name, address, telephone number, and email address.
(single-spaced, one page is preferred - no more than five pages)
4. Title Page
- Use whatever technique (point form, chapter by chapter, etc) is comfortable for you to convey the entire arc of the story.
- Do not leave out important details to "build suspense". The editor must know everything about your story!
If you have a Dedication, Foreword, Preface, Acknowledgments, or a general Epigraph for your story, feel free to include them with your submission. Please format them similarly to the prologue or chapter pages.
- Exact total number of words in manuscript
- (left, 8 sp lines down from top of page)
- Author's name, address, telephone number, email address
- (left, 2 sp lines down from previous line)
- Title of manuscript
- (centered, 16 sp lines down from top of page)
- The words A Novel By and then author's name or pen name
- (centered, 2 sp lines down from previous line)
- If there is an agent: The agent's name, address, telephone number, and email address; otherwise, leave blank.
- (left, 6 sp lines down from previous line)
5. Prologue (if any)
6. Chapters One, Two, Three (do not send more chapters)
- The word Prologue
- (centered, 8 sp lines down from top of first page)
- This goes only on the first page of the prologue!
- The text of the prologue
- (justify or left, start 2 sp lines down from previous line)
- Let the text flow naturally from top to bottom on all other prologue pages.
- The chapter number and title in the form "Chapter x : ___"
- (centered, 8 sp lines down from top of page)
- This goes only on the first page of each chapter!
- If there is an epigraph: The text of the epigraph
- (centered, 4 sp lines down from previous line, first page only)
- If there is an epigraph: The symbol - then source of the epigraph
- (centered, 1 sp line down from previous line, first page only)
- The text of the chapter
- (justify or left, 4 sp lines down from previous line)
- Let the text flow naturally from top to bottom on all other chapter pages.
Note re: The Prologue, and Chapters One, Two, Three of your submission
Use 20# 8.5" X 11" white paper; print on one side only.
Use an easily readable font such as Verdana (size 10) or Times New Roman (size 12).
Maximum 1" margins.
Number all submission pages in the footer (Page 1 is the first page of the prologue or chapter one).
Put the author's last name and an abbreviation of the manuscript title in the header on all submission pages.
All text should be double-spaced unless otherwise noted.
Begin each section on a new page.
Note that 'sp' (in instructions above) stands for single-spaced.
Send your submission to:
NOTE: EDGE Science Fiction and Fantasy Publishing is not responsible for submissions lost or damaged in transit.
EDGE Science Fiction and Fantasy Publishing
P.O. Box 1714
T2P 2L7 Canada
EDGE Science Fiction and Fantasy Publishing, Inc.
and Tesseract Books, Ltd.
P.O. Box 1714, Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2P 2L7
Phone: (403) 254-0160 - Fax: (403) 254-0456
This page is copyright © 1999-2009. All rights reserved.